Your car will pop up the error code ‘Starting Disabled Due to Theft System’ if the anti-theft control module loses memory and fails to read the key. You can easily clear the error message from the dash by doing the relearn procedure.
We mentioned the step-by-step guide below that will help you eliminate this wrong message. Besides, we will break down what triggers the anti-theft system in your car and how you can get your car out of this. So, stay in tune with us till the end of this guide.
Table of Contents
What Does Starting Disabled Due To Theft System Mean?
Starting Disabled Due To Theft System is an error code for every car like Pontiac, Cadillac will show on the dash. This error message means the anti-theft control module of your car loses memory and fails to read the key.
To clear this error message, you must perform a relearn procedure to let the control module relearn the key chip’s configuration. In the next chapter, we will break down how to perform the relearn procedure to fix the car issue. So, continue to read.
Note: You can also read how to Bypass the anti-theft system chevy cavalier by yourself.
How To Fix ‘Starting Disabled Due To Theft System?
As we mentioned above, performing the relearn procedure will help you eliminate the error message from the dashboard. Follow the below steps to do the relearn procedure.
- Turn the ignition on while the engine will remain off.
- Try to start your car engine. Then, we recommend you release the key to On (your car will not start).
- Take your eyes on the security light of your car. Wait for 10 minutes until the security light goes off.
- Now, turn the ignition off and wait just five seconds.
- Repeat the steps from 1-4 two more times to complete 3 cycles that will take 30 minutes. However, sometimes you don’t need to perform 3 cycles as a single cycle will fix the issue.
- In this stage, your vehicle can relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code. Ensure you keep the ignition off before trying to start the engine.
- Finally, start your car engine. This time your car learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code.
What Triggers The Anti-Theft System In Cars?
The anti-theft system delivers important protection against unauthorized access to your car. Several reasons cause your car to trigger the anti-theft message on the dashboard. They are:
- The system will activate if you or someone tries to open the door, trunk, or even the hood without using the key or remote control.
- The anti-theft system will be triggered if you turn the ignition key to the On position without utilizing a programmed key.
- If the battery of your car is dead, it will lose the memory of your car. As a result, your car will trigger the anti-theft system. Turns out, that a dead remote control battery can also be the culprit behind this problem.
- Damaged immobilizer chips and faulty car door lock may also throw an anti-theft message on the dashboard of your vehicle.
How Do I Get My Car Out Of Anti-Theft Mode?
You can successfully get your car out of anti-theft mode by following the below steps:
- Insert the vehicle key into the door lock. Despite having a keyless entry system, we recommend you use the driver’s side door and the physical key.
- Unlock your vehicle’s door by turning the key to the unlock position without releasing the key. Ensure you hold your car key in its position for 30 seconds. It will let the system know you insert the right key into your car door, which will help bypass the alarm system. It will be better to turn the car key fully to get your car out of anti-theft mode.
- Now, it’s time to start your car engine. Make sure you take out the key. Keep in mind, that you must leave the key cylinder in the unlock position.
Can an anti-theft system stop the car from starting?
Generally, the anti-theft system can’t stop your car from starting. However, it’s possible that if your car triggers the anti-theft system, it may stop your vehicle from starting without any apparent reasons.
How much does it cost to reset the anti-theft system?
The average cost you need to spend to reset the anti-theft system is between $44 to $56. It doesn’t include any taxes or fees.
How long does it take for the anti-theft system to reset?
It depends on what method you are going to perform to reset the anti-theft system. Checking out the cylinder & key, turning on the ignition, and inserting the key into the car door’s lock are some methods to reset the anti-theft system. It doesn’t matter what method you will use to reset the anti-theft system, you should spend at least 30 minutes.
What is passive disabling?
A passive disabling device disables your car or vehicle by turning the fuel, ignition, or car start-up system inoperative.
What are active disabling devices?
Active disabling devices are those devices or cars that don’t require a driver to enable them.
When the anti-theft control module of your car loses its memory and fails to read the key, your car will throw the error message ‘Starting Disabled Due to Theft System’. To clear this message from the dash, you must perform the relearn procedure.
Above, we mentioned how you can do the relearn procedure. So, follow the steps we described to disappear this error message from your dashboard.