Looking for the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am ignition switch replacement process? We have the easiest method for you as we showed you in the ignition lock cylinder Chevy S10 replacement guide. So, in this article, you will get to know how to replace the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am’s ignition switch like a pro.
Out replacement process is fairly easy. Even if you are not an expert, we will make you feel like one. So, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
2000 Pontiac Grand Am Ignition Switch Replacement [3 Steps]
2000 Pontiac Grand Am is a favorite choice of many. However, many issues can lead to situations where you need to replace the ignition switch. Such a task is usually presented in a complicated manner. However, we have something different.
Here are 3 easy steps that will lead to you perfectly replace the ignition switch of the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am.
Step 1: Preparing The Car
Before jumping into the replacement process, you have to make sure that everything is safe. This is why disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first.
Just loosen the nut that is holding the cable of the negative terminal. Use a wrench to do this. Remove the steering wheel so that you can get hassle-free access to the ignition point.
Step 2: Removing The Ignition Switch
To remove the ignition switch you have to:
- Put the key in the ignition hole and turn it to “Accessory” position
- Look for a hole in the ignition module. There definitely will be one. Insert a flat-tip screwdriver in this hole
- Press down on the release pin that is inside. Don’t push too hard
- With everything locked in their position, pull the ignition switch gently and it will come out
Step 3: Installing The New Ignition Switch
All you have to do now is install the new ignition switch. Here’s how to do it:
- Press the release pin in the ignition switch. Make sure it’s flush with the side
- Gently slide the ignition switch into the hole
- Now reconnect the battery that you disconnected at the beginning
- Check if the engine works. If it does, disconnect it again
- Place the steering wheel back to its place reversing the way you disconnected it
- Reconnect the battery again
If you have followed these points attentively then the newly installed ignition switch should work just fine. And this is all.
Maintaining these 3 easy steps will make your 2000 Pontiac Grand Am ignition switch replacement easy. Don’t have the keys to your car? No worries. We have the answer for that as well.
Pontiac Grand Am Ignition Switch Removal Without Key In 3 Steps
If you are planning to remove the ignition switch of your Pontiac Grand Am then you shouldn’t wait. But, it can be difficult if you don’t have the key.
However, we have managed to find a simpler method of removing the ignition switch from your Pontiac Grand Am without key in 3 easy steps. Here’s what you need to do,
Step 1: Drilling
Firstly, turn on the power drill. Use the drill bit and make a hole in the key slot of the ignition cylinder. You have to make sure that the hole is large enough to insert your screwdriver. Drill the back of the key slot as well.
Step 2: Preventing Ignition
Take a paper clip and straighten it out. You have to insert this straightened paperclip into the slot that is located to the left of the key cylinder. What this will do is, it will lock the cylinder from starting.
Step 3: Removing The Ignition Switch
Take your screwdriver and insert it into the cylinder. Now turn it to the right as far as you can. After this, gently pull on both the screwdriver and the paper clip. This will swiftly pull out the switch from its current position.
These 3 steps will save you $50 of getting the ignition switch removed by a professional. So, follow our method carefully and keep your car in its best condition.
Can you replace an ignition switch yourself?
Yes, you can replace an ignition switch all by yourself. An ignition switch is an important part of the electrical system of your car. And just like any other electrical component, the ignition switch does wear off and requires replacement.
How do you start a 2000 Grand Am without a key?
Here’s how to start a 2000 Grand Am without a key. First, remove all the screws holding the mechanical parts and electrical part of the ignition switch. Then insert a flat-tip screwdriver in the keyhole. Turn the screwdriver in the same direction you would turn your car key. Your 2000 Grand Am will start now.
Does the ignition switch need to be programmed?
No, the ignition switch does not need any programming. However, it requires some wiring.
What are the symptoms of a bad ignition switch?
Here are the primary symptoms of a bad ignition switch:
1. The car not starting
2. Your car key isn’t turning
3. Your car is stalling after you start it
4. The starter isn’t making any noise
5. The dashboard lights are flickering
Will the car crank if the ignition switch is bad?
Yes, your car engine may start cranking if the ignition switch goes bad. And this cranking will be pretty slow.
How do I test my ignition switch?
Here’s how you can test your ignition switch to see if it’s working perfectly:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position
2. Take a multimeter and put it at the back of the power feed 3. wire of the module
3. Put the negative lead into the ground base of the distributor
4. Turn the ignition to the “RUN” position
5. Measure the voltage by using the multimeter
If the multimeter reads less than 90% of the battery’s voltage, it means your ignition switch has gone bad.
How do you start a car with a bad ignition switch?
Though you shouldn’t try to start a car with a bad ignition switch, you may have to do it sometimes. Here’s how to do it:
1. Locate the solenoid
2. Connect it to the positive terminal of the battery
3. Remove the ignition wiring from the solenoid
4. Connect the solenoid to the ignition switch connecting ports using a screwdriver
This should start up your car, even if the ignition switch is bad.
2000 Pontiac Grand Am ignition switch replacement is an expensive process. It will easily cost you $300. Why spend hundreds of bucks when you can get the job done easily by yourself for free!
This is why maintain what we have discussed in this article and save money. If you have any confusion, you can let us know in the comment below.